Wednesday, December 14, 2022

You Just Never Know...

Who is having fun? I am, of course!

The Staub line is ever changing. From time to time I find bits and pieces to add to this very large family tree and continue to be amazed by how the branches of the Wilt, Smith, Staub, and Groft lines intertwine. 

The latest and greatest find was at Hanover Area Historical Society's Yelland Research Library and Archives, where I volunteer, earlier this year. The find was from a historic account of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in New Oxford, Pennsylvania. I was actually looking in the church's book for a researcher to our library and found this gem. I won't relate how many attempts I made with the Motherhouse for the Sisters of Christian Charity asking for a photo of Sr. Gerardine
The image (below) is of Sr. Gerardine, Sister of Christian Charity. She taught school at the said Catholic Church school for a short time until she became ill with tuberculous and died in 1910 prior to taking her final vows. She was the sister to my husband's paternal grandfather John Lawrence Staub and daughter to John's parents Augustin and wife Mary Weaver-Staub. Her given name was Rose Stella Staub.

I brought this photo copy home to show my husband and surprisingly he did not seem as excited as I was. Several of his cousins and siblings did not show excitement like I experienced when I discovered her picture. 

I don't know what possessed me to look in the book, but I am glad that I did. I have a saying that I used with my kids as they grew up and still use with researchers when they come to the library, 'you just never know until you look.'

Happy hunting.


No comments: